One Hundred and One Mezze: 3. Chicken Livers with Garlic and Coriander

If you a vegetarian look away now!!




Today's mezze dish is Kebdeh Mtajaneh. Kebdeh means liver and Mtajaneh means cooked in a Tajine which is totally bizarre since we don't have tajine in Syria either physically or even as a cooking concept, but here we go, that is what is called.

So what is that Kebdeh Mtajaneh? In English, it is Liver with Garlic and Coriander. The dish traditionally is cooked with lamb liver but I personally much prefer chicken liver so you chose your favourite. Another change from the classic is the addition of red chilli which I find left up the flavours and adds a nice contrast to the mellow flavours of chicken liver.

This dish can be eaten as a starter or part of mezze collection but it is as good with warm arabic bread as a nice supper

Here is the recipe:

Chicken Liver 300g
Olive oil
Garlic one clove, crushed
Red Chilli one, chopped
Coriander one table spoon, chopped
Salt
Papper
Lemon

Wash the chicken liver and dry gently on a kitchen paper.

In a pan heat 2 table spoon of olive oil. Add the chilli, liver and garlic and cook on high heat. Add the coriander two minutes from the end and season with salt and pepper. The whole cooking process should take no longer than 5 - 7 minutes. You want the liver to be just done. Cooking on high heat will seal the juices inside the liver and will come out nice and tender.

Serve with a squeeze of lemon.


2 comments:

Arlette said...

Marhaba Kano
my mom prepares something similar to this dish. I didnt taste it since 10 years. Thanks for sharing this recipe.... I can't wait to go home and taste my mom's food.

I am sending you an invitation to join the Walima Cooking Club if you are interested to join our small growing family.

Kano said...

Hi Arlette
Welcome to my blog. I hope you like the recipe and it tastes like your mom's.

I would love to join Walima Cooking Club. I didn't receive the invitation by the way.

Post a Comment