One Hundred and One Mezze: 15. Beetroot Mutabal


This dish is not a traditional Syrian mezze. It made its way onto the menu of few Damascene restaurants in the last few years. Travel guides favourite, Lailas, serves a version of this dish that was much appreciated by ABC reporter on her visit to Syria.

I will have to admit that I never tried this dish in a restaurant so I don't have a reference point. I just made up this recipe the way I like it. It is essentially the same recipe I use for
Mutabal but I use beetroot instead of aubergine. The combination of the sweet taste of the beetroot, sour yoghurt and the earthy flavour of tahini works surprisingly well together. This dish works very well served next to lamb kebabs.

Here is my Beetroot Mutabal recipe:
Cooked Beetroot 250g

Tahini 2tbsp

Yoghurt 2tbsp

Lemon

Salt


In a food processor start add the beet root tahini and yoghurt. Process till fine and well mixed. Add a squeeze of lemon and salt to taste.


Spread in a plate. Decorate with pine nuts and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with Arabic flat bread.

18 comments:

Choclette said...

I like the sound of this, especially as I don't like aubergine and I do grow lots of beetroot (at least I did this year).

s said...

love muthabal..im flooded with memories of my childhood in damascus. This one has a nice twist

Kano said...

@Choclette
I can't belive you don't like aubergine. It is the best thing ever! You must have had a bad experience or aubergines not prepared properly :)

@s
You need to visit Damascus if yopu haven't been for many years. Big changes.

@Vincent
I will do. Thank you for the invitation.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I recently made a beetroot & feta dip to get rid of a glut. It was delicious, but I must try this one!

Bria @ West of Persia said...

Amazing color! Wonderful blog. Syrian cuisine is absolutely wonderful. I spent a few months over there a few years back and was smitten. The people, the cuisine, and the gorgeous land. It's a very special place.

Kano said...

@foodycat
I like the sound of beetroot and feta. Mus give it a go.

@Bria
Welcome to my blog. I love yours. I discovered there is more Persian food blogs than I expected. You should give Syria another go. The place has changed a lot over the last few years.

16gb pro duo said...

I just love this mutabal. Yet not i have tried but wil definetely try this.

Anonymous said...

i'm loving this and will surely try it as soon as I can.. it will actually add more to the colorful set of mutabbals i do, the yellowish beige normal one, the green avocado mutabbal, and now this pinkish beetroot one.. what a colorful delight! (and I add garlic to all) ehmm..

Kano said...

@anonymous

I like the idea of Avocado Mutabal. I will give it a go.

Anonymous said...

I am jealous everyone else gets to view your blog. Can I keep you for myself and tie you up to the kitchen?

Kano said...

@anonymous

If my wife hears you she is not going to be impressed :)

Anonymous said...

tks, يا شيخI
just tried it. مش بطال, بس شوية مرّ ,
following the other comments, I think it will be a good idea to add a bit of feta and garlic to the mix!
just discovered yr blog, and love it!
All the best!

Kano said...

@stjust

I am surprised you got a bitter taste. Do you think it is the beetroot or the tahini?

Anonymous said...

may be the use of lime i/o lemon, or could be the use of canned sliced beets i/o roasted or boiled beet! could be a combination of the 2 reasons.
i must say that those who tried it, loved it and the bitter taste faded with time. by the following day none of it was left!

anthony said...

I didnt know much about syrian food and ended up at this site unintentionally, the food style seems very interesting and close to indian food. Pls keep this going.

Kano said...

@anthony

Welcome to my blog and sorry for the very late reply. I hardly check the blog or email these days.

I am glad you like the food. I willhave to disagree with the similarity with Indian food. It couldn't be more different!

Izaa said...

very nice recipe

Bint min Wadi el Nil (A girl from the Nile valley) said...

raw beet root? great site by the way.Egyptian in the US (can't get a decent Syrian restaurant where I am..sigh)

Post a Comment