One Hundred and One Mezze: 31. Potato with garlic and coriander


Potato occupies an awkward spot in Syrian cuisine. 

It is not a true vegetables in the way we use vegetables in our cooking. We don't have the concept of meat and two veg. Instead vegetables are either cooked in some sort of a stew and served as a main or cooked in olive oil and served as a vegetarian side dish. Potato does not fit either. 

Potato is not our main source of carbohydrates. Rice and bulger occupy that spot. 

We don't use it to thicken soup. We don't use it as a pasty filler. We don't make hash brown with it... etc 

As a results potato is often neglected in many Syrian kitchen. I know many Syrian households that never used potato other than chips!

But look a bit under the surface and you would find amazing uses of the humble spud. One of my favourite dishes of all time is my chicken and potato bake with garlic, lemon and oil. Another favourite of mine is a simple breakfast dish of boiled eggs, boiled potato, salt and pepper swimming in olive oil. Another great dish is potato salad and I don't mean the one smothered in mayonnaise, but a fresh sharp salad with tomato, parsley lemon and olive oil. Something similar to my artichoke salad

Today's recipe is a very nice and simple mezze dish. Potato with olive oil garlic and coriander. Most people fry the potato cubes however I prefer them boiled. They absorb the olive oil and take on the garlic and coriander aroma.

Ingredients:

Two large potatoes cut into an inch cubes
4 garlic cloves (use more or less to taste)
A handful of coriander 
Olive oil 5 tbsp

Boil the potatoes in salted water.

Heat the olive oil on low heat. Add the garlic and coriander and remove immediately from the heat. You just need them welted. If you burn your garlic throw it and start again.

Add the potato. Mix well and season to taste. 

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Thank you for your posts! I am an infrequent reader, but your recipes always turn out well. I just made your mint-lemon drink (Polo) and it is wonderful. It reminds me of visiting Syria with my Syrian husband. Keep it up, when you can!

Kano said...

@SC

Welcome to my blog. I am delighted the recipes are working well. Please keep coming back!

Unknown said...

I really like this, as a matter of fact I think I will try to cook it today for my lunch. Since you already use olive oil (as every good cook does) I wanted to invite you to check out our product at : http://quintapeirezes.co.uk/ , or follow us on out twitter or facebook so that we can stay in touch and maybe develop some collaboration ;)

Mooneyharley Personal Blog said...

What’s up, after reading this remarkable post i am too happy to share my experience here with mates. Visit: Food Online UK

Unknown said...

Al Diwan Lebanese Cuisine Restaurant A unique history has helped place Lebanese food among the most popular of all Middle Eastern cultures. During the earlier days, Lebanon was ruled by foreign powers that have influenced the types of food and cuisine.
The origins of many Lebanese dishes trace back to the time of the culture known as Phoenician, a maritime trading culture with extensive reach across the Mediterranean. The influence of the Levant region is most obvious in use of spices, for instance, za’atar has been enjoyed in this region for thousands of years.
Classic Lebanese dishes, such as homous and manoosh, can also be traced back to ancient roots in Levantine cuisine.

http://www.aldiwanbali.com/

Bibi said...

Potato salad with sausages is a tradition in Germany on Christmas Eve.
What do I do when my "prince" from Syria declares he is hungry? Arabic potato salad! Without sausages.
Very delicious, thank you for this great recipe!
Merry Christmas ;)

Post a Comment