Toshka


If you were intrigued with my sujuk recipe, but didn't know what to do with it, I will tell you my favourite way to use it.

Toshka is originally an Aleppian recipe. It is made with Arabic flat bread stuffed with kebab meat and de-salted white cheese. These loafs are then baked over the charcoal grill or on a flat griddle.

In Damascus, as with sujuk, we took the name and a broad outline of the dish and re-created it. Toshka in Damascus is a type of sandwiches made with sujuk meat and Kashkawan cheese (Kashkaval as it is more widely known) then grilled in a sandwich maker for the cheese to melt.

In my version of this recipe I use Pita bread. This is the only recipe that I think Pita bread works better than Arabic flat bread (khobez). If you don't have Kashkawan cheese (it is not always easy to find in London) you can use mild Gouda.


Here is my recipe:

Pita bread
Sujuk meat (Damascene style)
Kashkawan cheese sliced
Cucumber pickle

Open the Pita bread into a pocket shape. Fill with a layer of sujuk and a slice of cheese. Grill in a sandwich maker or on flat griddle.

You can brush the bread with melted butter if you want it to crisp like in my second photo.

Serve with cucumber pickle on the side.

Simple as that!

5 comments:

Lickedspoon said...

Oh Kano, These look so good, perfect for a cold autumn evening. But then anything with melted cheese is a winner with me.

Kano said...

@lickedspoon
Same here, nothing I like more than melted cheese!

Cassandra said...

Hi, I just came across your blog because I was looking for a dish I ate while I was living in Syria. I was eating in a restaurant in Damascus near the Al-Hamidiyah Souq. The dish came in a deep bowl with a leg of lamb with what maybe was chickpeas and perhaps oats and once served they poured a little oil over top. I loved this dish so much but I can't seem to find it online do you have any idea what the name of it could be?

Kano said...

@Cassandra

Welcome to my blog. I was just having a read through your blog. Really funny.

Are you guys still in Syria? I am a big basketball fan. My home team is Al-Wahda from Damascus. I am sure you came across them. I couldn't figure out which team Eder play for.

I don't know the dish you are talking about. We don't have such dish in Damascus.

Did you try it in Narinj restaurant? They cook loads of regional dishes which I don't know all.

Cassandra said...

I don't know the resturant maybe I can find out from one of my boyfriend's team mates which place I was at. Eder plays for Al Jalaa and yes I'm familiar with Wahda one of Eder's old teammates went back to that team this past year but thanks for your help with the food lol sooner or later I will figure it out lol hopefully

Post a Comment